My cousin, Kristen liked a dress being sold for the American Girl dolls - but it was sold out and she wanted to choose her own fabric. So I looked for a pattern to make the dress. I did not find an exact pattern so I used an a-line dress pattern and modified it. I tapered the bottom to have a more straight form. I also changed the neckline to have a more "asian" appearance. This is the finished dress (photo taken with a flash):
Here is a close-up of the neckline. The photo was taken without a flash.
Now I just need to make a purse to match and I can mail it to her. Hopefully it fits just right. I did make a "practice dress" and sent that one to be tried on. From that I made some modifications before finishing the brocade dress.